Sunday 24 November 2019

Stir-Up Sunday


Today is Stir-Up Sunday, so it’s time to make my Christmas puddings.  I prepared the dried fruit last night and soaked it in brandy.  


Flour, sugar, spices and vegetable suet were mixed before adding the liquid, which consisted of eggs, milk and alcohol.


In a break from tradition, I used a different pudding recipe this year, loosely based on Emma Bridgewater’s recipe, which you can find here.  I tweaked it a bit, changing some of the fruit and my choice of alcohol.


The reason for the change is mostly because of the disappointing results that I had last year when using currants.  It doesn’t seem to make any difference where I buy them, as they are all gritty and full of stalks.  I’ve tried picking through the fruit in advance of using it, but it has been impossible to get rid of every bit and so I’ve opted for a change.  

This last photo is of one of the smaller puddings after it cooked for two hours.  Emma’s recipe is more than generous and made two small and one medium-sized pudding.  Good news, as I have some spare for a pre-Christmas tasting.

4 comments:

  1. Fun to see the festivities gently beginning there, Marie... lovely with your Christmas puddings all done! This year, since we'll be travelling Christmas holidays I've not baked our usual Christmas Cake. Probably just as well--not too many temptations laying around after New Year. ;) Happy Days as you make ready for the festive season! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy. Wish I could send you a Christmas pudding. Marie x

      Delete
  2. I made our Christmas pudding over last weekend and I think I overfilled the bowl as it has risen a little over the top, I used the BeRo recipe but popped in a few glace cherries. I hope it will be okay. I like things made with dried fruit but like you don't like the gritty bits that can lurk in the mixture:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure it will still be delicious, Rosie. I do love the BeRo book. Marie x

      Delete