Saturday 23 November 2019

Mince Pies


As we have been having such cold weather, it feels more like late December, so I decided that it was time for some mince pies.  I bought a jar of mincemeat this morning and I remembered to buy an orange, as the pastry recipe I use contains freshly squeezed orange juice.



This is definitely slow baking.  First the fat and flour mixture is chilled in the freezer for 20 minutes and the orange juice is chilled in the fridge.  Then, once the pastry is formed, it is returned to the fridge for a further 20 minutes.


The anticipation was mounting as the aroma of Christmas spices filled the kitchen.  Once out of the oven and slightly cooled, they were dusted with icing sugar and enjoyed whilst still slightly warm.


There’s nothing better than a freshly-baked mince pie with a cup of Yorkshire Gold tea.  

2 comments:

  1. The mince pies look tasty and very pretty too on the lovely plate. Emma Bridgewater? I had my first mince pie yesterday - I usually try not to have one until 1st December but they were just what was needed afte a chilly lakeside walk:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to only bake them in December - just before Christmas, but I decided that it was definitely time for a mince pie. Yes, the plate is an Emma Bridgewater design. Marie x

      Delete