Monday 19 November 2012

Plain Truth


Those of you who followed my old blog may remember that I spent some time during 2010 working with the Amish and Mennonite communities in Ontario.  This was an opportunity to experience a different culture amongst people who choose to live according to their beliefs without the conveniences of modern society.  I was privileged to spend time with them and to be welcomed into their homes.

This experience left me with an interest in Old Order communities, which is what attracted me to Jodi Picoult's book Plain Truth.  Set in Pennsylvania's Amish community, Plain Truth tells the story of Katie and her concealed pregnancy.  I don't want to give the plot away, but it is a gripping read: a mixture of mystery and court-room drama.  I didn't want to put it down and took every opportunity available to read a few pages.  It takes until the final pages to get to the bottom of this mystery and it is one of those books that had me thinking about the plot even when I was not reading it.  Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment