Thursday 8 November 2012

A Sense of History

An old stone wall marks the boundary of the garden of my sister's house.  The date is carved into the stone.  This wall has been standing here since 1722.



The narrow entranceway reminds me that the wall was built long before modern transportation was even thought of.  The sharp angle of exit is a challenge when attempting to ensure that no traffic is approaching.



Here is the same wall viewed from within the garden.  I've always dreamed of having a walled garden, though mine is more of the secret garden type.


Although I'm certain that the gates are not as old, the detailed ironwork is beautiful  I was told that there are 25 animals depicted on them, though I didn't stand and count them!  My sister's house is  not the one seen in the photograph, but a later addition to the original grounds of that house.

No comments:

Post a Comment