Tuesday 20 November 2012

Advanced Cake Decorating

 
I approached the advanced class with a mixture of excitement and trepidation.  My only previous experience of working with sugar paste had been a frustrating experience, with holes in my icing and sticky sugar everywhere.  Would I be able to improve on my technique?
 
The cake I chose to make this time was an orange one ~ basically another Victoria Sponge, but with grated orange instead of vanilla and an orange icing.  The iced cake was then covered in sugar paste, which we coloured ourselves.  I don't have a large selection of colours, so I chose pink and ended up with a pink thumb from all that kneading!  I discovered that the secret to covering a cake in one attempt is to use a roll and cut mat, which allows accurate sizing and makes transfer to the cake so easy.  I thought that the result looked like a floppy hat.
 


Once the sugar paste was applied to the cake, there followed a careful process of smoothing and trimming.  Yes, this is the same icing (I know that the colour looks different, but it was the lighting) and the cake is now ready for the next stage of the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment