Friday 26 October 2018

A Writer’s Life


It has been almost a month since I’ve posted on this blog and the time has flown.  In my last post, I mentioned that I had been following The Artist’s Way and I’m still working away at my morning pages and trying to find time for artist’s dates each week.  This week’s date has been an ‘at home’ one, rather than out and about because the weather here is freezing and we had snow yesterday - yes, snow in October!

I hinted in my last post that there were some exciting developments to share and I have decided that now is the time.  I have been writing a book about a year of life here on the Island and it is heading towards completion - the writing is done and now I’m waiting for my proofreader to start work within the next few weeks.  My original goal was to publish before Christmas, but it now looks like it will not be ready to go to press by then.  I will be self-publishing, so there will be a lot of work still to be done once I get the corrected manuscript back.  

My other piece of news is that I’ve written my first piece of fiction, which I have entered in a short story competition.  The piece is titled, The Letter, but I don’t want to give too much away.  Writing this was inspired by The Artist’s Way - I have always wanted to write fiction, but wasn’t sure that I could do it - reading about a literary festival’s short story competition gave me the push I needed to sit down and write.

Watch this space - I will share more news of my book’s progress in the coming weeks.  

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you are okay and have in fact been busy writing both fiction and non fiction. Your book sounds interesting, I hope things go well with getting it proof read and published. Look forward to learning more about it. Good luck with the competition too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosie. I have missed visiting my blog friends, but I’ve been so busy finishing my book as well as working at my day job. It is nice to be able to sit back and leave it in someone else’s hands for a few weeks. Marie x

      Delete
  2. VERY, VERY exciting developments, Marie! I think when one is a life-long reader and enjoying reading and literature, one can't help but want to try one's hand and writing. It's a brave things to put one's ideas to paper...or screen, as the case may be! I can't wait to read your stories...and hope you'll continue to share your writer's journey here!! :) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy - thank you for your support in being my reader for a couple of chapters - I appreciated your feedback. The book will be in print, as well as on screen...once I work out the details of self-publishing. Marie x

      Delete