Sunday 31 December 2017

Green Gables In Winter


When I told people that we were moving to Prince Edward Island, the usual response was, ‘Wasn’t that the setting for Anne of Green Gables?’  Even before we moved here, I had decided that I wanted to see this house, which is known throughout the world as the home of the strong-willed, red-haired orphan girl, who comes to live here with Aunt Marilla.  She may be a fictional character, but she has been a part of people’s childhoods for generations.  This house attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors each year.


When the morning dawned bright and sunny, but still cold, it seemed a good opportunity to go out and do some sightseeing and I suggested that we head to Cavendish and visit Green Gables Heritage Place.  Although the house is closed in winter, the park is still open and I was able to walk in and look around - Mr Candytuft decided to wait in the nice, warm car - it was -11 C and felt like -19 C with the wind chill.


The approach to the house is along a track from the park entrance and I had the place to myself.  There was one other woman taking photos, but she was leaving as I arrived.


Once I left the track, I was wading about in the snow and descended the slope from the front of the house cautiously, as I was unsure of the terrain.


 Past the barn and down the slope to a footbridge, which leads to the Haunted Wood Tail.


The post and beam bridge was topped with snow and bright red berries were visible on bare stems of the shrubs.
 
 

I liked the contrast between the brightness of the berries and the pristine white snow. 


 Retracing my steps across the bridge, I walked back up the slope towards the house.


 I took a few minutes to admire the snow on the trees and the benches of the picnic area.


I love seeing the trees with their dusting of snow, which looks like icing sugar.


 I saw a sign for the Balsam Hollow Trail, but didn’t venture down it, as I was alone and did not want to risk a fall, but also because it was very cold.


Looking at the Parks’ Canada website later, it seems that this leads to a boardwalk and the whole trail is actually less than a kilometre.   When I see signs for trails, I always expect them to be longer, but I imagine that the majority of tourists who visit are not interested in going for a hike!


I turned back towards the house and captured this picture of the house, the snow and the long shadows cast by the trees with the sun low in the sky at this time of year.


 Beyond the house, there are two barns, which form the outer perimeter of the farmyard.


It really was a beautiful day to be out, but I was relieved to be heading back to the warmth of the car and home.  My fingers were going numb with the cold, as I had to remove my gloves in order to use the camera.


My final view of Green Gables Heritage Place as I retraced my steps.  I think it is likely that I will visit again during the season to see what it is like in the spring, but I hope that I can time my visit so that it is quiet and not packed with tourists.




‘Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think.  It’s splendid to find out that there are so many of them in the world.’

Anne of Green Gables
L M Montgomery

This post is dedicated to all Anne of Green Gables fans who read my blog.  If you would like to see more photos, visit this website.
 

6 comments:

  1. How BEAUTIFUL is Green Gables in winter! When I've dreamed of visiting Green Gables, in my mind it's often been in spring or summertime... But it looks so lovely there with a blanket of snow all over!! It is a joy to see this place in your photos Marie! So glad you finally had a chance to visit. The Anne stories are very dear to my heart. And it's such fun to see places that inspired the setting and stories. Thank you for taking us there... You are definitely a kindred spirit to me! ;) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so happy to share my visit with you, Tracy. Glad you enjoyed seeing the photos and I will try to get back there in the spring and take some without the snow. Marie x

      Delete
  2. Stunning photos. How lovely to see the Green Gables. And, my goodness, what extreme cold you have on Prince Edward Island. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the photos. It is a pretty place, but it was so cold that my visit was short. Marie x

      Delete
  3. Wonderful photos, the house lookes beautiful in the snow, I hope you return in Spring or Summer to see what it is like then:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see it in the spring before the big crowds of tourists arrive. Marie x

      Delete