Monday 7 November 2016

Whitby


My last visit to Whitby was four years ago (which was also my last trip home).  Time marches on, but some places stay much as they have been for centuries.  I had planned to visit Whitby Abbey on that visit, but winter visiting hours meant that it was closed on the day I was there.


Whitby is my favourite seaside spot and one that I always visit whenever I have the opportunity.  I am drawn to the sea: not from any desire to paddle in the cold water, but more for the connection that I feel with the place and the rhythm of the tides.  It is about continuity and a sense of history, both of which are missing from my life at present.

I hope that it will not be long before I am there again.  I feel the pull of the sea and I cannot resist it.

No comments:

Post a Comment