Thursday 22 December 2016

The Sewing Bee


I've been as busy as a bee working on an idea for a Christmas gift.  This year, the only Christmas gifts are homemade ones and I'm more than a little behind in Santa's workshop.  

The inspiration for this came from a picture, or more precisely, a vintage railway poster from the 1940s.  I got as far as tracing the design a couple of weeks ago, but then work ground to a halt, so now I'm busy in the sewing room (actually the dining table, but a girl can dream...), trying to get it finished in time.


I spent all day yesterday sticking Bondaweb to fabric and cutting out my design (all of the fabrics used came from my small fabric stash).  I then started to assemble it on the fabric backing.  Little did I realise that this process would take me the better part of eight hours.


Here, I'm trying to work out exactly what that little scrap of funny-shaped fabric is...a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle.


As the light was fading, I added the final piece.  The next stage is to finish all of the raw edges.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Marie,

    Loving your project! A handmade Christmas is a good thing. I managed to complete my list this year of handmade cards, tags and gift bags. Merry Christmas to you and yours Marie. By the way, thanks for your sweet comment on my blog :)

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for dropping by Beverly - it is lovely to see you again :-). Marie x

    ReplyDelete