Tuesday 27 September 2016

The Story of Beatrix Potter


I was delighted to discover that Sarah Gristwood's new book, The Story of Beatrix Potter, was available through our library.

Sarah's book was a pleasure to read, full of interesting facts, but presented in a way which was both familiar and reader-friendly.  Having read other biographies about Beatrix Potter which were quite 'dry' and factual; this came as a surprise and I was immersed in the story of Beatrix's life and love of nature and most especially, the English Lake District.  

How I long to revisit the Lake District and to venture into those areas she knew and loved!  

The morning ticked away slowly and before I knew it, the book was finished.  It is a long time since I have enjoyed a biography this much.  I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in knowing more about one of the world's greatest children's authors and illustrators.  

I must draw your attention to the watercolour of Esthwaite Water on page 54 of the book, which is absolutely beautiful.  In case you can't get your hands on a copy, you can see the picture here.

No comments:

Post a Comment