Thursday 7 January 2016

Very Downton


It seems that Christmas came and went in a flash.  Where do the days go?  The build-up to the big event was hectic and I was back to work last week for those days leading up to New Year.

One of the gifts that I received was a (new) vintage Regent of London dressing table set, still in its original box.  I have to admit that I knew this was coming as I found it on eBay, but I had resisted the urge to peep when it came in the post.


As a fan of Downton Abbey, I have often admired those beautiful dressing tables adorned with perfume bottles, vanity mirrors and brushes.  I may not quite achieve the same degree of perfection as Lady Mary, but I do like the quality of these pieces.


The set includes a handmirror, hair brush, comb and clothes brush, adorned with this pretty fabric design.


Imagine my delight when I found a matching mirror located here in Canada.  It is the same design and I think that the reason that I was the only bidder was that no-one knew its provenance.  It did not have the Regent of London sticker on the back and was just listed as 'Made in England'.  


The set now adorns my dressing table and I am so happy with it.  It looks like the pieces have always been together and it is hard to believe that they were more than 3,000 miles apart.

I received my touch of Downton at the conclusion of the series.  Downton may be over, but I will have years of pleasure from this set.  

Wishing you a Happy New Year.    

1 comment:

  1. I think Downton concluded quite happily, thank goodness. I've enjoyed it all so much. I love your dressing table set and how wonderful to get the mirror to match. You will treasure them all and enjoy using them too:)

    ReplyDelete