Monday 25 August 2014

In the Kitchen


I know that it has been a couple of weeks since I last posted, but life has been busy.  Summer seems almost over, even though it is still August.  The nights are cooler and so are the mornings and the weather has been quite unsettled.    


I took the opportunity this weekend when the weather looked quite unpromising, to spend time in the kitchen and do some baking.  I used two recipes from books that I have mentioned in previous posts.

Sausage and Squished Tomato Rolls are from A Perfect Day For A Picnic.  The tomatoes were roasted with olive oil and then pureed in the blender.  The addition of tomato certainly makes for a tasty and moist sausage roll.  This also gave me another use for our glut of ripe tomatoes.

Tomato, Pesto and Goat's Cheese Tarts are from The Little Book of Lunch.  These have fast become a favourite when we pack a picnic.  They are just bursting with flavour!

No picnic this past weekend, but maybe we will be able to get out for one next.  Labour Day Weekend is looming and this is considered the official end of summer.  In the meantime, I think that I will browse through those picnic recipes and see if I can find something different to try.  The only problem being that now it is the end of summer, the weather has gone hot again, so it is hard to know whether I should be planning for a warming picnic or something cooler....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marie,

    These picnic treats look heavenly. Whilst we don't eat that much meat at all now, I do have a soft-spot for sausage rolls! Delish. I imagine that the tomatoes in the mix made them even better. I hope that the weather perks up a bit for you, so you can enjoy the last of summer before the cooler weather sets in :)

    Best wishes,
    Tash from vintagepretty.org

    ReplyDelete