Monday 14 October 2013

Thanksgiving


Today is Thanksgiving here in Canada.  Although we have lived in Canada for a number of years, this is not really a holiday that we celebrate.  I suppose it stems from the fact that we don't have any family living near us and Thanksgiving is really a time for large family gatherings.

Another tradition which I've never adopted is pumpkin pie, which I hate.  Squash in general is something that I never grew up eating and my experience of doing so has been limited through choice.  Anyway, in an effort to try something seasonal, I made Butternut Squash and Apple Soup.  It turned out really well and it was very tasty (even if I am the only one who likes it!) 

The pumpkins were a fun little knitting project which I found in one of the Debbie Bliss books.  I may not enjoy eating pumpkin, but at least these little beauties brought a smile to my face.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving!

    I suppose it is hard to adopt the holidays of a country when you didn't celebrate them growing up. I have always liked squashes, particularly pumpkins, butternuts, delicata and other sweet varieties, but I know that my mother doesn't like pumpkin - or didn't, until she had a really good pumpkin pie! It took me a while to master getting the right texture and flavours with them, otherwise pumpkins can be bitter and not nice at all. I made a lot of awful pies before I made a good one!

    I do love your knitted pumpkins though! How wonderful (and very seasonal!).

    I hope that your teaching weekends went well? It's good to see you blogging anyway :)

    Best wishes,

    Tash from vintagepretty.org

    ReplyDelete